Saturday, October 11, 2008

Stretching my abilities in PS


The original photo is included here. My idea was to capture both a starkness and the mystery and foreboding found in the interstices of things. Used PS to exacerbate and dramatize elements in the photo. I wanted to alter the perspective to tipped-in verticles making it over-towering. This is easily done using Transform/perspective, however the top of the whole image is pulled together so that the full rectangular format is lost. Sure I could crop the remaining image but then elements are lost from the unstretched bottom of the photo that I want to keep. 

The solution that worked: Before adjusting the perspective I selected a narrow column at the right and left edges, one at a time. Using Transform the selection is stretched sideways to increase to total width of the photo. Then I could adjust the perspective and crop to a rectangle without loosing elements at the bottom. An inflection in the angle of the building caused by the stretching was mostly corrected by carefully selecting that section of the building and using a distort function in Transform. Filled some resulting voids with clone stamp tool. I tested many filters on the image. Though the stretching left a stretched look in those areas the use of filters eliminated the problem. The image here resulted from two filters, watercolor followed by texturizer. There are qualities that will not be apparent in this image due to its size and resolution.

No comments: